Happy Snow Day?
If you’re stuck indoors, I thought why not send out your work for WEEK 3. As in NEXT class not this coming Monday which is week 2. I have to be clear this is for WEEK 3’s class. WEEK 3. Which is in 2+ weeks.
To give you a hint on why I’m being SO specific: there will be ONE or more students who do this assignment and not week 2. Please don’t be that person. Please. Do. Not. Be. That. Person. Oh man – you’re gonna be that person….
Readings from Rodman’s Mass Media: Chapters 3 (Books), Chapter 4 (newspapers)
WEEK 3 – Blog work due before 12pm, Monday, Feb 22nd
Blog Reading: Satire’s Brew – Lecture ONE: America’s Jester, pages Xi-58 – MANDATORY.
Assignment – Using Satire’s Brew, watch the videos below, answer these questions and explore other ideas on your own.
- Have you watched The Daily Show before? What do you think of Jon Stewart? What ONE word would you use to describe him. Why did you use that word?
- Jon Stewart has been called a journalist and/or a comedian, which do you think he is? Why?
- Do the segments/stories below follow the rules discussed in the book? How so? Give examples – use the book and the videos.
- Was Stewart being unfair or too harsh to CNBC and Jim Cramer? Marco Rubio?
- What are your reactions to the videos/segments. Expand on your own if you need to.
- Word Count: 750-1000 words
Videos to Watch: There are a bunch (like a bunch) here but all VERY enjoyable. Some of my personal favorites and I just re-watched all of them so the links work.