Class 2 in the books… and now a snow day!! Nice, right? Unless you have to shovel.
This blog post is for our make-up class in March, this is NOT for the class/work due in two weeks. That will come later today or in a few days.
As you know, my wife and I are expecting our first child at the end of April so class on Wednesday April 19th is canceled.
Instead, that class meets on TUESDAY, MARCH 14th 6:30-8:30pm in Ingersoll 2310.
This class is required — if you have a class, email your TA with a photo of your schedule. If you have work, I’m giving 4+ weeks notice, hopefully you can switch it up.
I will send a reminder email as the date gets closer.
For that day we will cover Chapters 7 & 8 from Rodman’s text.
Our topic will be Recordings and Radio.
Your blog assignment for that day due Tuesday, March 14th before 12pm is as follows:
1997 – The rock band Radiohead releases their 3rd studio album “Ok Computer” to universal acclaim.
It’s been 20 years! 20 years since the album was released so… let’s introduce you to the album that would catapult Radiohead to top-level/God-like status.
You can find this album anywhere — youtube, amazon, legal streams, illegal streams. You’re listening to the ENTIRE album.
What to do for this blog:
This assignment should be worked on a little bit every week till the due date. Don’t do this the night before. Or do it the night before… it just won’t be that good.
– Just from the name of the band (Radiohead), and album (OK Computer) start jotting down ideas, thoughts. Yes, I am asking you to judge a book by its cover.
– Then start listening to the album – what are your first impressions? Any songs stand out to you? Why do they stand out? Write it down, keep it handy to reference later.
– Listen to the album some more — keep some thoughts, ideas. Positives, negatives. Did your initial thoughts change?? Has one song stood out over the others?
I don’t like or listen to this kind of music is not acceptable. This is an intro class — I am introducing you to this.
– Take a few minutes and look up the lyrics to the songs. Listen to the album again, NOW knowing what Thom is singing about — did this change the songs for you? Make it better? Worse? Etc.
– Do some more research on the album… but also listening to it now… does it have any meaning to the world at large twenty years later? Think about what the band was singing about in 1997 — does it hold up? Make sense?
– The band also did SEVERAL music videos, you should WATCH those too! React to them if you want.
– Review and react to the album, and to one, some, or all the songs. Expand, explore the suggestions above. Make this blog your own. Hopefully you’ve listened to the album over a month or so and have some incredible ideas.
– After all the notes, ideas, etc… write your blog. Use everything from your first thoughts to your last.
– Word Count: No minimum or maximum. But the best ones will receive special notice and/or rewarded.
I will re-send this blog out as a reminder as the date approaches. Even if you can’t make the class, the assignment is still due.
Remember this is for Tuesday, March 14th’s 6:30-8:30pm makeup class.
Thanks and happy listening!